November 19, 2006

Printing a "blue print" Christmas...

The wind this morning was strong enough to bring the rain in through the open window; it sprinkled our faces and woke us. The weather also meant no usual morning walk with Frodo, but I was glad for the chance at getting some printing done first thing after breakfast.

This weekend it's hard to shut out thoughts of work. Way too much turmoil and uncertainty there for my liking right now, even if I know things always work out in the end. Still, I put off thinking about resume writing for a few hours and began on my Christmas cards. Now the first stage is done and 50 prints are hanging to cure along the kitchen windows. Lots more work to come...I'm hoping I can get it all done in time to make the mailing to Europe.

Yeah, I'm going with a "cutesy" theme this year. At this point, it's all I can get myself geared up for. This snowman snippet is just a portion of the card for now. I'm reaching back to my roots: I want the final image to somewhat resemble a modrotisk: fabric printed with images carved into wooden blocks. Always white on indigo as far as I know and thus literally called blue prints. These days, there's probably only a handful of people who still carry on with this traditional Czech folk-art. Too bad. I've always liked the honesty of the designs and the juxtaposition between white and indigo. Here's part of one I got as a gift from the Czech Republic a few years ago.





No comments: