August 12, 2007

In the Meantime...

The new oil inks from Daniel Smith came on Friday. Not a bad way to begin my first day of summer holidays, new inks to try. Not to waste time, I printed the last layer for Hybiscus.

Ok, wow! Huge difference from using oil paints mixed with printmaking medium. Whereas the paint/printmaking medium combination was mustard-like in consistency, the DS inks are much more viscous. Keeping to the food analogies, they're like peanut butter: thick and velvety. And, as much as I can tell from using only two colours, black and yellow, a little seems to go a long way. I'll have to remember that when I'm actually mixing the colours: don't use too much.

For now, I'm waiting for the ink to set and, according to what the printmakers on WetCanvas say, I'm in for a long wait. Here it is, Sunday night, two days after printing, and the ink is still as wet as it was on Friday. It's too wet to scan even so there's no close up of the finished print but here they are hanging out in the kitchen.



It'll be interesting to see how long it really takes. Maybe somewhere around Wednesday I might be able to take them down, stack them, and print the first colour for my next print. which I began work on last night.

No comments: