January 13, 2008

Chop, chop.

Always intrigued by Japanese chops, I finally got around to making one of my own, occidental style. It turned out pretty well, as most of the stamps I carve from the Mastercarve type stuff they sell at Opus do, and now I'll just have to decide how I'll actually incorporate it into my images.

The pictures aren't great, I couldn't focus the camera in closely enough and the chop is small .


I finally got my chance to use the lovely Gnarly Head cork I had sitting around waiting for a purpose. (Now each time I use the chop I'll be reminded of the great wine that contributed toward it). I thought I was being so clever in using it as a base for the stamp and then had to laugh when I read on WetCanvas that M. Lee uses corks as stamp bases too. Go figure. I guess none of us are as unique as we believe ourselves to be.

2 comments:

Amie Roman said...

Nice chop Katka! Great idea; my parents got me one when I was little with Chinese characters of my name phonetically (or at least approximately), and it's fun to use. I might have to come up with my own, now!

Katka said...

Thanks, Amie. I have no doubt whatsoever that you'd come up with an awesome one.