February 03, 2008

Tree Spirit : Week 6

This week's layer is quite subtle and will need the next colour, a dark chocolate brown, for contrast and full effect.



Here's the new layer just by itself. Funnily, as enamored as I've been with printing in colour and even as my next project (also a colour reduction) is already taking shape in my head and on my sketchpad, the simple contrast between a single colour positive space to the white negative one really appeals to me. Plus, from a compositional perspective, it's probably more difficult to do a two-tone image; colour can at times provide a "wow" factor and distract the viewer from noticing flaws in the composition that would have been more apparent in a black and white rendering.



I initially abandoned the black and white and turned to colour because, since most of my blocks are fairly small, I couldn't get the fine detail lines to print as I wanted them in lino. I think a black and white image needs to rely more on detail. But I'm finding that the shina plywood is much better for detail than lino: the lines in what will be the "spirit's" horns in the above image are actually quite fine yet printed just fine. It's probably time I challenged myself and planned to do a few black and white studies.

3 comments:

azulparsnip said...

it's starting to look exciting.

Katka said...

Thanks Azul. I confess, I'm getting a little bit excited about each new colour now. Holding my breath & crossing my fingers though.

Amie Roman said...

"the simple contrast between a single colour positive space to the white negative one really appeals to me. Plus, from a compositional perspective, it's probably more difficult to do a two-tone image"

YES! Very true. But I love the development of this reduction (and the final product). I certainly agree, there's something magic about pure monochromatic manipulation of space.