May 19, 2008

God Save the Queen

I heard on CBC radio this morning that Canada is the only country to still observe Queen Victoria's birthday. It is a bit odd if you really think about it; why this queen and not any others? And why still, when she's been dead for decades? Odd or not though, I don't think too many Canadians are complaining: a long weekend is welcome no matter what the reason behind it.

And so here it is, Victoria Day. I believe that there are many people out there, the lucky ones, for whom long weekends generally translate into two Sundays. I'm not one of them. For me, this long weekend pretty much meant two Saturdays: two days of chores instead of one, driven by the glorious weather and the work needing to be done in the garden. We put in a yard of oh-so-fragrant (not) composted bark mulch, we weeded, and we planted. No printmaking this weekend at all; it was a different canvas I turned to.

This is this year's collection of plants destined for the container garden:


And the finished thing:


The lavender is just starting to come back from last year:


Today, thankfully, rain. No pressure to get out there and do so more work, so the rest of the afternoon will go to designing my new website.

No comments: