May 11, 2008

On a roll...Firebird finish line

So there I was, happily printing The Dance when I began thinking about what a shame it was that my water-soluble ink hasn't arrived yet, and how now I'd have to wait one more week in suspense before I found out if the key block for the Firebird would make or break the print, and how nicely the black ink I was using today was working. And on that train of thought it seemed like such a waste to not keep going. That's when I remembered that, at least when it comes to house-painting, oil-based can go over water-based. If that rule applies to house paint, then why not to printing inks?

I decided to experiment. Even though I've used only water-soluble inks for the Firebird and the ink I was printing with today was oil-based, I figured it would still be ok to combine them, as long as I don't add any more layers after this one. Sure enough, it worked:


The only issue was arranging enough drying space for both sets of prints. Otherwise the ink just like went on just as if it was meant to be.

So, very quietly, another print is done.

6 comments:

Eraethil said...

Wow - what a difference the key block makes. Great finished piece!

marissa buschow said...

oh, that turned out so lovely!
I know at least part of it was color reduction - did you only use one block? incredible planning.

Jen said...

Wow, that turned out AMAZING!!!!

Jen

Amie Roman said...

Gorgeous! Lovely print, K, and it all sits together so well!!

FYI - DS water soluble inks are oil based; they're just water clean up. But your thinking is right; oil can go on top of water. Glad you took the plunge!

Katka said...

Thank you so much for the positive comments.

Marissa, I used two blocks, one as the key block and one for the colours. In hindsight, two blocks for the colours would have been better and wiser.

Annie B said...

It came out great! The key block really changes everything, doesn't it?