September 21, 2008

New season; new efforts

In honour of the first day of fall and a farewell to summer, I printed the first stages, the backgrounds, for two new blocks today: Eve and the Serpent, and a study of a hibiscus type plant in the garden.

Not much to see yet but my big delight for today is the new drying rack (based on ideas borrowed from a couple of other on-line printmakers - sorry, I can't find the original links) that R finally assembled and hung up for me. It's very basic; a long strip of what used to be a one by two but is now narrower and some clothes pins:


It holds 21 prints which is, for my efforts, plenty. And, if I really need to, I can still hang some more on the line along the other window (my old method). It already looks much neater than when I had the prints drying one next to each other along both windows and can easily be taken down when not in use, by unhooking the eye-hooks on either side.


As for the printing, I didn't do any work on the blocks last week and therefore didn't get the background sections ready to go. I got around that by cutting foam-board to the exact size of my carving area, tacking it to the blocks with tape, and printing the backgrounds from that.


Now I'll have to get busy and start carving.

Finally, this is one attempt at adding in some colour to the Village Church print I did a month or so ago.


2 comments:

Eraethil said...

Cool drying rack. The colour version of your Village Church is very nice! Did you use watercolours?

Katka said...

Thank you. Yes, I did. I begged for a really good set of water colours for my birthday two years ago and finally actually tried them out.

I'd like to try to do some more experimenting but it's hard to find the time.