Anyway, I let the first colour dry on the block after I printed it and it created a nice additional barrier. This is good both for the carbon sketch underneath the ink (it doesn't wipe away now) and for adding a seal to the block itself. Plus, I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, the ink barrier seems to have firmed up the surface of the block so that as I carve, the edges seem crisper.
This is second colour printed, but it's hard to see the lighter colour below it. It shows much better in person.
Today I printed the third colour. Again, my apologies, the screen distorts the actual image:
I'm really liking the 8" brayer I got from Daniel Smith. And I was actually disappointed the first time I used it because it seemed too big for the glass I roll my ink out on, because it took the ink differently than the Speedball brayers I got used to, because it felt heavier in the hand...
All things that combined to frustrate me and make me wonder why I spent the money on what, after the first try, I figured might just be all marketing hype. I'm not sure where the transition point was, somewhere in the middle printing the Cohen block probably, but I suddenly realized I made it over the learning curve and got used to the brayer. Now I'm very glad I didn't give up on it. I guess it only goes to show that it's not good to be too rash in judging things.