September 14, 2009

Homelife Distractions

Boy, some things just end up being way too time-consuming and distracting, specially when one has a garden with everything (pole beans, beets, summer and winter squashes, chard, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, raspberries) bursting into harvest mode all at once. That zucchini boy, it can literally grow exponentially over night! No, I'm not complaining; it's great to have fresh, pesticide-free veggies and berries. But picking all the bounty and trying to keep it from going to waste cuts into the already limited time for creative stuff.

However, I managed to get it under control a bit and tried to catch up to my muse who almost gave up on me and went elsewhere. First, I've prepped blocks for two new prints. Both summer-themed. The first one's based on a magnificent vine that climbs up the roof of the house every summer (and would probably swallow the whole house up if left untamed). I think it's called a humming-bird vine:


I've done up my rough sketch and my MDF block is oiled and ready to have the sketch transferred over.


Print number two, and no, I'm not really planning to work on both at once so this is just to make me feel like I'm moving forward again, is from last summer. Again from Texada Island:



Is this what one would call "whimsical"? Those are R's feet BTW, not mine. I love the play of the light on the water here but, doing up the sketch I realized how difficult it may be to do it justice. A challenge surely. I've tried to keep the sketch very loose, to allow for a lot of freedom once I actually carve the block. But it's a scary one so I'll just hold off on this until after I finish the vine.



There is no end to the inspiration all around me though. In fact there's too much almost. I took an hour on Saturday afternoon to take some pictures of the garden, all of them as possible fodder for future prints.

Again, the textures on the water in the fountain are so very intriguing...



This next one is almost something Georgia O'Keefe might have chosen for one of her paintings. Very erotic!



And the Dragon Maple. Yeah, I've done this one before. But I did not do it justice at all, at all, at all; I didn't even come even close. So I'm considering trying again. Maybe.


But first, before that, I was caught by this next one:



That's a blow-up of a flower center that's actually about half an inch in diameter. Less maybe even. And yet there's all this incredible detail...all those little tiny separate floral shapes. This one's hooked me to the point that I'm working on a sketch for a potential black and white print. I'll post that when it's done; right now it's only in the primal stages.

And that's it for now. Seems I'll have enough to keep me busy for a bit, given there's still that Year of the Tiger print in the works too.

No comments: