September 20, 2009

Printmaking Lull

My ambitions didn't quite match reality this past week and my plans to begin carving didn't gel. However, my new way of looking at things, as a result of the reading I've done lately, leaves no room for the guilt (about my lack of progress) that would have been there before.

One of my recent realizations is that I've spent way too much time stressing about how much I manage to accomplish in any given week and worrying that it's not enough. That I'm not learning fast enough, progressing fast enough, producing enough. What a waste of life that is! And how such thinking cuts into the actual enjoyment of the work itself! Well all of that is in the past now. I've pulled out of the race I thought I had to be in and am allowing things to happen as they will.

So no carving.

But I finished a very rough colour sketch for my next print:


Is there ever a lot of colours in it! I'm going to have to decide how I'm going to deal with that: do I keep all the colours and use two blocks or do I simplify?

And I also sketched out the image of the head of the African Daisy in the garden (in my last post):

This print will be a black and white one and I plan to have more black, in the petal areas, in the actual work.

And that's about it for this week's work. Chisels sharpened, I hope this next week there'll be some carving going on.

2 comments:

Eraethil said...

Lots of great inspiration going on in your quarter. Go Katka! :)

Not sure if the roof line and window/shutter will translate to the viewer as what they are in the photo. But I don't think that matters much as the image is well balanced with the mass and value of the foliage offset by the geometry and brightness of the roof and window. It's gonna be a cool image!

Katka said...

Thanks Rick. You're right about the roof line. I do feel a bit undecided about it myself. I'm planning to add some more detail into the actual print to make the roof's "roofness" a little more obvious, yet, at the same time, the abstraction appeals to me too.

Oh choices, choices!