October 12, 2009

Giving Thanks (again)?

And here we are, another Thanksgiving weekend. At least up here in the "true north, strong and free" it's another Thanksgiving weekend and it's incredible to think it's already been a whole year since the last one. Wasn't it just last week we were all sitting down together?

This year, lots to give thanks for. All the usual stuff of course: family, health, simple abundance etc. But along with all that, there's a couple of things I, personally, am adding to the list.

First, a milestone: My Texada Sunset was accepted into a juried show at the Maple Ridge Art Gallery. It'll be part of a themed show with quite a few local artists participating (various mediums) but hey, I'm glad to be included.

I met the curator on Friday when I delivered the print and she seemed pretty sincere in her praise of it so that, of course, felt even better, specially since the whole "show and tell" thing is still something I need to get acclimatized to. That, and growing some balls for when I talk about my work to people like gallery curators, for example.
My first urge still is to want to run for the nearest corner. Strange really, considering I'm hardly someone who comes across as shy and retiring in most other situations.

Second, I sold another print, at work, and I feel really good about the sale. Good to know there are some people I work with who like my prints enough to want to take them home and make them part of their space.

Third, I printed the third colour in the Hummingbird Vine print today. I couldn't stand the suspense of not knowing how my two blocks would marry up, so I decided to do the background colour for the blossoms instead of carrying on with the blue as I originally planned:


BIG sigh of relief, so far no issues. The few areas that are darker will be a different colour so the darker shade is ok.

And that's about the deal for this weekend. Where did it go?

3 comments:

Annie B said...

Congratulations on being accepted into the juried show! It's a great affirmation of your hard work.

I love the perspective on this new print.

Katka said...

Thank you Annie.

It's funny how things go sometimes. I was originally trying to take a much narrower shot of one of the bloom clusters on the vine when I looked up and saw that the bigger composition seemed much more interesting. And so it ended up.

Eraethil said...

Yes - congratulations on the show Katka! Well deserved!