They say that November is the wettest month for us here in BC and they may have a point. Lots of rain these days which, as I've said before, is ok by me. The dog, poor thing, doesn't like it much, even with the water-repellent vest he has for the winter time. But for me, a big pot of soup on the stove and almost all day to print and draw makes for a good Sunday.
Another colour closer to the finish for The Hummingbird Vine today and the block is slowly getting smaller and smaller.
I'm really happy with the way this is evolving so far, watching the colours play off each other as each new one is added.
Still, there is something I haven't liked all that much in doing this print: the MDF. Yes, the romance is fading. Maybe it's because I'm doing so many colours (9 so far) but the block is getting "crumbly" and some of the edges are becoming ragged. It's also harder to get a nice clean cut edge as I'm carving, sharp as they are, my chisels tend to rip little bits of the MDF away instead of slicing. That annoys me.
I'm guessing that's just the nature of MDF. Given that it is a composite material, it is just not meant to be wiped and wiped and wiped all the time and I'm doing a lot of that: both during printing and after, when I clean the block in prep for the next run (something I have to do to be able to see the lines of my drawing). I use a barely damp rag and have tried using a dry one but it hasn't made much difference. The block tends to disintegrate a bit more each week. I tried to get around that by sealing it with a spray varnish early on but the varnish only sealed the surface and, as parts of the block are carved away, new, unsealed, areas are exposed.
Lesson learned, leave the MDF for prints with only very few colours or, preferably, one colour only. For multiple colour reductions I'd better try lino again and see how that holds up.