June 28, 2009
June 21, 2009
June 14, 2009
Still, I did get to printing the next colour on Sunset today.
So far, it's going really well. The MDF block is carving well and the ink is cooperating. Gotta love that.
In fact, although the printing part can sometimes be the most tedious of the whole reduction process, this time around I'm not minding it because it's going so smoothly.
June 07, 2009
Anyway, I let the first colour dry on the block after I printed it and it created a nice additional barrier. This is good both for the carbon sketch underneath the ink (it doesn't wipe away now) and for adding a seal to the block itself. Plus, I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, the ink barrier seems to have firmed up the surface of the block so that as I carve, the edges seem crisper.
This is second colour printed, but it's hard to see the lighter colour below it. It shows much better in person.
Today I printed the third colour. Again, my apologies, the screen distorts the actual image:
I'm really liking the 8" brayer I got from Daniel Smith. And I was actually disappointed the first time I used it because it seemed too big for the glass I roll my ink out on, because it took the ink differently than the Speedball brayers I got used to, because it felt heavier in the hand...
All things that combined to frustrate me and make me wonder why I spent the money on what, after the first try, I figured might just be all marketing hype. I'm not sure where the transition point was, somewhere in the middle printing the Cohen block probably, but I suddenly realized I made it over the learning curve and got used to the brayer. Now I'm very glad I didn't give up on it. I guess it only goes to show that it's not good to be too rash in judging things.