April 25, 2010

Birthday Florals

This weekend I was the birthday girl again although the "girl" part of it takes some suspension of disbelief in this case.  I might just be pushing it but then again, says who?  I still feel like I have some more growing up to do.  Anyway, my reward for aging so gracefully was a packet of books (there can never be enough books), a bit of jewelery, a gorgeous CD of Melody Gardot's music (I think succulent would be a fitting way to describe it), and lots of flowers. It's been a great spring for lilacs and the tree outside our window is heavy with blooms this year so R brought some of them inside for me.


Along with the usual birthday celebrations I took time for the folk floral I'd begun carving two weeks ago.


I printed the first colour last Sunday, before we left for the Southern Cross exhibit;


Today I added in the second, a lovely vibrant gold:


I was most curious, clearing the block for the second colour, about the way the dots inside the leaves would turn out.  I'm not always sure if I've carved a block deeply enough but my worries this time were unfounded.  The dots turned out just fine...


...and I'm very satisfied with the way the print is shaping up so far. 




5 comments:

Libby Fife said...

I have been following your blog for a bit now. I just can't believe how clean those cuts are. I feel like a child has been working on my blocks! Anyway, the print is shaping up nicely and looks great. Thanks again for showing those shots-it is helpful:)

Katka said...

Thank you for visiting and for your comment, Libby.
I get obsessive about trying to get my cuts smooth and I sometimes end up working on a block way more than I probably should.
That said, I've managed to collect an assortment of very good carving chisels and I keep them as sharp as I can get them. I use a leather block to hone them several times during each carving. That seems to help a lot.
I checked out your blog BTW; your fabric art is fantastic!

Libby Fife said...

Thanks Katka. I know that better tools are an important part of what I want to do. I think the skill will follow too. Have a good one today:)

Amie Roman said...

Well, happy birthday Katka!! What lovely gifts.

And your print is just gorgeous; I am very much looking forward to seeing all the colours. I love the graphic style and bold shapes in this image. Very exciting!

Katka said...

Thank you Amie. I'm really enjoying doing this one.