May 24, 2010

Prints, Plants, and Lint

So here we are, another Victoria Day and another day to give thanks for the birth of a queen without whom we, in Canada anyway, would not have a long weekend.  If nothing else, it gives all of us gardeners, and reluctant gardeners (me), a marker on the calender to denote the "official" day the veggies get planted.  This is the BIG gardening weekend pretty much all across Canada I think and I, not wanting to mess with tradition, managed to get out there and plant some squashes and soy beans and broccoli.  This, despite the weather which, a little cooler than normal, isn't necessarily cooperating with the whole BIG gardening weekend concept.  But so be it...

Next, those of you in the Vancouver area may be interested in checking out the Maple Ridge Art Gallery next Saturday for a talk by Chris Tyrell, the author of Artist Survival Skills and a regular contributor to the Opus Newsletter. You can get more info here

Last but not least, the folk floral is now complete and I'm happy, happy, happy with the way it turned out.  

  Folk Floral
Reduction Linocut - 7" x  8"

I've liked working on this print so much that I've got sketches done for two more floral-themed prints on the go.  They still need colour so I can't show them yet but will next time.  I have to hold off on starting on them for a week or so anyway; I'm getting ready to take some work into a fledgling co-op gallery just opened by a friend and I've been busy matting and framing.  

And once again, as I always do when I'm framing, I can't help wondering:  Why is it that those tiny specs of lint that get trapped in between the glass and the print never show up until after the whole frame is put together?  Where do they come from?  There's a lesson in there somewhere but I haven't quite figured out what it is yet.  





6 comments:

Amie Roman said...

Beautiful! Love the final result!! Really excited about the further floral themed images.

Isn't framing the biggest pain in the rear end? If you've got any animals in the house, it's also next to impossible to get any framing done without a cat or dog hair sneaking in once everything's sealed up, too. Gah!!!

Susan said...

A nice big clean feather is handy for getting the lint out, but yes the lint will deliberately wait in hiding until you go to seal everything shut. That's just the nature of the beast. :)

Libby Fife said...

I really enjoyed watching this one come together. Can't wait to see the next one.

I have a boy cat with black hair-the hair is insidious and no matter how hard I try, it ends up everywhere!

Katka said...

Thank you for commenting everyone. Much appreciated.

Yup, I agree, cat hair is definitely an issue at my house too.

A feather sounds like a great idea and I will pick one up next chance.

Nicola said...

Beautiful, Katka. I love seeing your process unfold! : )

Alexiev said...

Good flowers...

Best wishes from Buenos Aires...

http://www.alexiev.com.ar

Proyectos - Illustrations

Alexiev Store - venta de originales