July 11, 2010

It's Not a Disappointment; It's an Opportunity

I finished my Poppies print today and I'm not as happy with it as I could be.  


No, it's not entirely dreadful or anything, I like the design and the way the colours came together, but it's just not what I envisioned and that's always frustrating.  It's not a clean as I want and the edges, even though they're clean and sharp on the block, are ragged. I covered my ink issues etc. in last week's post so I'm not going to beat that drum again. I'll simply take it as an opportunity to figure out why things went a bit sideways with this print and work out a fix for next time.

I'll have a week or two of down time anyway; next weekend Saturday R and I are starting our much-discussed (and two years overdue) living room reno: new paint for the ceiling and walls, new crown molding, new carpet.  The weekend will go to packing up everything in the living room and stuffing it into the bedroom so I don't expect I'll have time to print.  That may just be a good thing.  But I will have lots of time to think about things like printing ink and paper etc.


3 comments:

marissa buschow said...

I get that a lot - a print turns out fine but it wasn't what I envisioned, so I have a strange dislike for it. Usually if I hide it for a few months and take a look later, I'm a lot happier with it.

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

The print looks fine. Just remember that what looks like a glaringly obvious mistake to you, doesn't to anyone else looking at it. The viewer will just accept it for what it is.

Katka said...

Many thanks to both of your for the encouraging comments.

It's true, I often tend to like a print better after some time has passed. And yes, I do believe the viewer approaches a work of art with a much different eye than the artist who brought it to life does.

Yet it's still so hard to sidestep this obsession I have with achieving "perfection" :-).