October 03, 2010

Sand Dollar Print: Stage Three

One of the things I love about relief printmaking is the lovely sculptural quality of the block as it's carved and shaped.  I guess it could be argued that, since the whole point of the process is the print itself, the actual block is secondary. But sometimes the patterns and textures that emerge in the block as I'm carving it are so aesthetically appealing, I wish I could save the block and turn it into a separate art piece.  

Like the block for this latest print.  I've reached a stage where it's so very interesting just on its own.  All those textures!  




And here's how the print looks with the latest colour in:




It's beginning to look like something now...


4 comments:

Annie B said...

I never tire of watching a multi-color print unfold! You're right, the block is beautiful right now.

Sherrie Y said...

The block is beautiful, and so is the print! The part of me that seems never able to achieve "subtle" in my work is delighted with this piece right now. I'm sure subsequent steps will enrich the piece, but I'd be tempted to put one aside "as is."

Libby Fife said...

The print looks wonderful so far. The block really is a work of art too-so tactile:)

Katka said...

Thank you so much, as always, for the comments.

Funny thing Sherrie, I would have said your work has great subtlety :-)