January 30, 2011

One Little Spider

What a treat to wake up to a cloudless blue sky today.  It's impossible to stay indoors on such a crisp and clear day so, even though I was looking forward to printing the last pass of my spider print, Roland and I grabbed the dog and headed out to Tsawwassen's Centennial Beach for some open space and sunshine.  It's a bit of a drive from where we are but it's always worth it.  We love the combination of grassland on the one side,
 

 
and ocean on the other.  It's a beautiful contrast. 



I brought my camera today, proud of myself for remembering, but ended up only taking a handful of pictures.  It was way too windy.  Bracing I think is the word.  The dozens of ducks out in the water seemed fine with it, but my fingertips got numb whenever I took off my gloves to work the camera so I gave it up.  Still, despite the wind, we left the place feeling invigorated and charged up.   

Next, the print.  Even after almost six years, I still have that little bit of anxiety before each time I print. It gets stronger in relation to how far along with the print I am, but it's always there.  Will things work out or am I going to screw up?  Will the registration come together?  Will the colours work?  That sort of stuff.  It was no different today and those same little fears all came and went as I inked up the block. 


The worries were all for naught because it was pure pleasure printing today. But then I love printing with Daniel Smith black ink.  I probably don't use it nearly enough.  And each time I do, I always think I should do just a black and white print and then, distracted by the lure of colour, I don't.  The DS black ink is rich and smooth and glossy and everything else an ink should be.  

Anyway, Ta Da, block one of my nursery rhyme series is now finished and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. 

One little spider
At first light of day,
Spins a fine web
to catch her prey.
 
(Reduction Linocut, 7.5 x 9 inches)


4 comments:

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Hi Katka

Another great print. Very colourful. I always get nervous printing the last colour especially if it isn't black. Too light and I can always reprint darker but too dark and it just kills the print.
Stuart

Libby Fife said...

This is fantastic! You should be pleased. Having a product that you like to work with and that produces the results that you want creates a great experience. I just can't say enough about that.

I can't wait to see the next print. Will there be text to go along with this do you think?

Jennifer said...

Katka, I'm mostly a lurker but have to pop in and say...I love your work...!! What a GORGEOUS spider print! Composition and colors are A+. :)

Jen

Katka said...

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments folks!

Stuart, it's always reassuring to learn that printmakers whose work I admire share some of the woes I go through.

Libby, the accompanying text is below the print. I guess I should have made it a bigger font? But if you mean will I be carving the text, no. I'd pull all my hair out.

Jen, as one who also lurks here and there, I thank you for breaking silence to say such nice things.