May 02, 2011

Voluntary Senility

Yesterday we had one of those glorious sunny spring days we Vancouverites put up with all our crappy weather for.  It's true, one day of sun and we turn senile.  We forget we've just had three long months of rain and sub-par temperatures and, if we can, we rush out in droves: to go walk the seawall or go biking or start rooting around in the garden or just go out. Anywhere but just out into the air and sun. On a day like yesterday, we take deep breaths of air that holds the promise of all kinds of wonderful things and we tell ourselves what a great city Vancouver is and that it really may just be close to being the "best place on earth".  

And then, hello slap of reality, a day like today comes along.  Cold and clammy and rainy from morning to night and we're right back to muttering curses at the rain and the cold and grumbling about the "wet west coast" and bitching at our spouses and/or significant others etc. etc.  At least until the next sunny day shows up.

I'm kind of at that "sunny day spot" with my prints this week.  Last week I was asking myself what the hell I'm even bothering with this whole printmaking business for anyway when, six years into it, I can't even get my colours right; this week the sunshine is turned on and I'm Mrs. Optimistic.  Maybe it's voluntary senility at work here too but what ever it is, I'm feeling much better about the last layers I printed yesterday.  The pink in the rooster print may seem a little weird from a distance but it's all good.  And...I'm even liking the dark green and mustard yellow in the caterpillar print.



Of course, I recognize my current contented state is subject to, like the weather, change overnight.  Because there's always that element of unpredictability inherent in the reduction print process and always the potential for taking a step that can, possibly, wreck the results of days' worth of work.  But never mind that now.  Though tomorrow may rain, for now I'll follow the sun. 


 

4 comments:

Jennifer Tetlow said...

You're right - what an impact a little sun can have - how clever our biology is - imagine, we wouldn't get this high if it wasn't for the lovely grey drizzle days and rain! (I can say ths as it is sunny here). I once carved a figure in the bleakest, coldest part of winter and was so concerned it would look cold and hunched too, that I overcompensated and it became all voluptuous, curvy and relaxed.

Katka said...

Thank you for your comment, Jennifer. I totally agree with you; we need the rain to appreciate the sun (and vice versa). I actually fell in love with Vancouver the first time I came here BECAUSE of the rain.

After a couple of years of living in the Arizona desert, I loved how green everything was here and how fresh. And I liked walking around in the rain. I guess contrasts are always important, in everything.

Libby Fife said...

Sort of like Scarlett O'Hara-"Tomorrow is another day." It is crazy how much the weather affects our mood isn't it? I have been complaining about the rain and cold all winter (in reality it isn't bad) and I feel like a frozen dinner-I just need to thaw out! In about two minutes though, I will be complaining about the heat!

Keep going-better weather MUST be just around the corner:)

PS-I like the prints!

Katka said...

I was just thinking the same thing, Libby. We're still having a stupidly cold and unseasonable spring, everything growing is later in starting than it was even last year, yet I remember the scorchers of last summer and how I hated them.

Isn't there some place where the temperature stays a constant "pleasant"? Hawaii I think right?