October 11, 2011

Not the "La Grande" Finale


Well, now that I’ve added the "last" colour to the La Grande print, I have to face up to not being finished yet.  Maybe.  


The problem is I don’t like the sky.  I know, I know, I was so proud of how very cleverly I managed to work in the little bit of texture into it but now, when I see it with all the other colours in place, I find it’s not bold enough.  It’s kind of blah.  Too pale, the wrong shade, I don’t know exactly what it is about it I don’t like, but it pleases me not. 
I’m weighing a decision to overprint it with a richer colour – yes, at the cost of the texture – and I’m trying to figure out the best way to do that.  And if it's worth the trouble.  Because this being a reduction print, there’s almost nothing left of the block.   


 
Which means I have to either do a new block (and no way am I doing that), or maybe use foam board again just for the sky.  And then I’ve got to figure out the logistics of positioning the new piece into the registration jig I’ve got set and lining it all up so I don't misregister the whole thing at the last minute and totally screw it up.  
So it goes. On the plus side, now I can delay the decision of what my next print will be by another week so, in a twisted kind of way that’s there's a plus side.

2 comments:

Libby Fife said...

I read this post and got distracted and never came back!

Is there any harm in masking off the sky area and overstamping with the foam block? Just to try it on one? Maybe that isn't in keeping with the spirit of reduction printing?

I am sure you will come up with a solution:) The colors and design are lovely though-no matter what you decide on.

Katka said...

Thank you Libby.