January 31, 2012

Stalling and Stoking the Fire

We actually got some snow a few weeks ago.  It was a mere fragment of the rough winter the weather people had been predicting for us for this year but enough to transform our garden gnome, the David Crosby lookalike we picked up in Le Conner WA some years back, into a masked bandit.  


It seemed like a good time to hole up inside and do some reading so I've been indulging my fascination for history.  It's like a series of endless doors: once I open one, there's always a new one waiting.  It began with the brief snapshot of the Celts in one of the Czech radio broadcasts I now listen to while I carve my blocks.  Really, you can't go anywhere in fledgling European history without stumbling across the Celts so I did too. Totally intrigued by the reverence for (and worship of) nature by these people, I gave several weeks over to studying everything I could find out about them.  

Then I came to the Slavs, similar in many ways and also very much tied to a nature-influenced faith.  Maybe there's some truth to our being influenced by where we're born and maybe all those old folk tales and myths I cut my reading teeth on have left their mark.  Whatever the reason, the idea of natural elements containing something beyond that of the visible world really resonates with me.  Of course, I recognize that the same reverence for nature is also inherent in the myths and legends of the native/indigenous people of North America and in the aboriginal societies in other parts of the world but, because I was born in Europe, it's the European version that has a greater pull on me. 

Alongside with this, I've been dipping my toes into the study of alchemy and of some of the symbolism there.  In some ways, there's a lot of overlap between this and the ancient nature-worship because the natural forces play such a huge role in alchemy as well.  There's really so much more to it beyond the worn-out images of mad scientists in dusty laboratories but, in the most simplistic terms, what it comes down to for me is, again, seeing the hidden essence of something beyond the ordinary and transforming it into something tangible.  

Anyway, this is where my mind's been at.  So much so, that I feel this huge pull to somehow bring some of these concepts into my work.  Except I haven't yet figured out how yet. I started a journal for some of the main Alchemical concepts and am hoping ideas will come from this.  



And I'm waiting.  Feeding ideas into the idea cauldron, waiting for something to bubble up.  That in itself can be likened to an alchemical process but I won't get into that now.  In the meantime, I'm taking the easy way out and the print I'm working on now is number four in the nursery rhyme series.  The first two stages are here:




 
I'll keep my fingers crossed that by the time I finish it, the idea cauldron will deliver....




1 comment:

Libby Fife said...

Glad that you are still chugging along:) Sometimes working on other things, like studying different subjects, helps me to clear my mind. Maybe that is what you are doing too?

I liked too the comment regarding alchemy; distilling (or seeing) something down to its essence and then translating that to your work. I think this goes beyond just portraying an image, like a photograph.

Good luck with your studying:)