February 09, 2012

Relearning To Juggle


It's been a week of doctor's and hospital lab visits as I took both my parents to and from a number of tests and appointments.  Roland and I juggled things between us a bit and that helped but I suddenly got a flashback to when Nora was small and we were juggling our working time around caring for her.  Funny how it goes.  And it's always these trips to the doctors that make me realize how vulnerable my parents have become.  How much they rely on us to look out for them.  It's heart-rending though we're definitely far from alone in this; whenever I take my parents for any medical appointments I find myself in waiting rooms with other parent/children couples, all in roughly the same age group as we are and all with the same lines in their faces, worry and exasperation both, as my own.

There was also some not so good news concerning my dad so, while we wait for test results, I'm trying keep the door shut against worst case scenarios...one day at a time as Roland says...and am trying to put my mind elsewhere.  I've recently finished reading Rewire Your Brain and, while parts of it were a bit too too medical-technical for me, there were some things I took away with me and am trying to put into practice.  One of these is that work, or activity, is one of the best ways to chase away the blues (I'm paraphrasing here) and that sounds pretty logical to me.  

So I tried to stay busy and managed to get in two printing sessions over the last week and added the next three colours to the current nursery rhyme print.  First, there was this green:


I spent some time shaping a nice mask for the area with the beetles only to find I didn't even need it and just had to be careful with my inking.

And then I added a lighter green and the next colour for the beetle body, both at the same time:


Now, one colour left to go, it looks like this:


As always, being I'm so close to the end, I guess I'd better start making some decisions on what my next print will be...



3 comments:

Libby Fife said...

I really do like these series of prints. The colors are lovely too.

Hope everything is going to be alright, especially with your Dad. My husband reminds me all the time that everyone is the same, everyone is in the same boat and experiencing the same thing. Hard to remember though when you are in the middle of it!

Stuart Brocklehurst said...

Looking good.
Hope all goes well with your Dad.

Katka said...

Thank you very much for your encouragement and well-wishes Libby and Stuart.

Much appreciated!

Kate